Instagram is used by over 500 million people each and every day, making a presence on this social media platform a must for any brand hoping to extend their reach online.
However, as is the case with any social media network, the brands who are smart about who they target, what they post, and how often they post are the ones benefitting the most from Instagram and its millions of daily users.
So, how do brands know what to post, when to post, and who to target to exploit Instagram for all its worth?
It all comes down to data. There’s a ton of research and data about Instagram out there just waiting to be used by smart brands and marketers like you.
From user demographics and popular posting times to ideal caption lengths and the most popular emojis, if you want data about Instagram, there are endless stats available to help you optimize your Instagram presence.
Getting to know Instagram’s users and the way they interact on the popular social media platform will help your brand develop the best Instagram marketing strategy for 2020. Read on to discover 85 Instagram stats and how to set yourself up for IG success this year and the next.
85 Instagram Stats for 2020
Rather than just list a bunch of random Instagram stats and facts, we grouped them into easy to scan categories, including:
Instagram Growth Stats
2. With 1 billion active users, it far surpasses Twitter, Pinterest, and Snapchat, who have 326 million, 250 million, and 150 million active users respectively.
3. Since the platform first began being tracked by the Pew Research Center in 2012, the number of adults using Instagram has increased by 400 percent.
4. Despite growing much faster than other social media platforms in recent years, Instagram’s growth is projected to slow down. Instagram grew by 13 percent in 2018, but its growth is expected to slow down to four percent by 2022.
5. According to eMarketer predictions, 26.9 million more users will join Instagram by 2020. This is nearly twice the expected user growth of Twitter and other social media platforms.
6. Instagram receives over four billion likes each day.
7. 47 percent of millennials use the Instagram messaging app, putting it in a tie with Snapchat as the second most used messaging app. Facebook is still the first.
8. Instagram will account for nearly 25 percent of Facebook’s ad revenue in 2020. This figure is expected to grow to 30 percent by 2020.
Instagram User Stats
10. Instagram users spend an average of 53 minutes on the platform daily.
11. 64 percent of adults under 30 use Instagram.
12. 72 percent of teens use Instagram, while 69 percent use Snapchat. Since 2015, both of these figures have grown by more than 20 percent.
13. In 2018, 35 percent of adults used Instagram, marking a nine percent increase since 2014.
14. 71 percent of people on Instagram are 24 or younger. The numbers are virtually even amongst men and women.
15. 34 percent of people on Instagram are millennials.
16. 68 percent of millennials on Instagram view stories. Only 49 percent view stories on Snapchat and 44 percent on Facebook.
17. Instagram is used by 25 percent of smartphone users.
18. 22 percent of IG users log in daily.
19. 38 percent of IG users check their accounts more than once a day.
20. 88 percent of IG users live outside the U.S.
21. At 121 million and counting, the U.S. has the most Instagram users. Next is India with 71 million users and Brazil with 64 million.
22. In Latin America, women comprise 56 percent of IG’s user base.
23. 60 percent of Instagram users visited the platform daily in 2018, marking a nine percent increase since 2016. Of the 60 percent, 55 percent were young adults who went on the platform several times a day.
24. 95 percent of Instagram users in the U.S. also use YouTube. For Facebook, this number is 91 percent, and it’s only 60 percent for Snapchat.
25. 44 percent of Instagram users earn less than $30,000 a year.
26. 45 percent earn $30,000-$60,000.
27. 36 percent earn $60,000-$70,000.
28. 55 percent earn $70,000-$80,000.
29. 46 percent earn $80,000-$100,000.
30. 60 percent earn $100,000 or more.
Instagram Usage Stats
32. Instagram users “like” over four billion posts a day.
33. Instagram users under 25 years of age spend more than 30 minutes a day on the platform.
34. Instagram users make 95 million posts each day.
35. 500 million Instagram users view Stories each day. This figure has increased by 200 million in just two years.
36. Video views have increased 80 percent year-over-year. Meanwhile, daily video creation has quadrupled since 2017.
37. Over 30 percent of Instagram users have bought something online via a mobile device, making them 70 percent more likely to make a mobile purchase than non-Instagram users.
38. 60 percent of Instagram users search or discover new products on the platform. That’s more than 600 million people discovering new products on Instagram, making it a goldmine for smart brands and marketers.
39. On average, Android users spend 53 minutes each day on the Instagram app.
40. With 157 million followers, professional soccer star Cristiano Ronaldo is the most followed person on Instagram. With 283 million fans, the most popular brand is Instagram itself.
Instagram Posting Stats
42. Instagram users engage with video posts 38 percent more than image posts.
43. The best times for posting on Instagram are 10:00 a.m.-3:00 pm Monday-Friday.
44. The most popular photo on Instagram has amassed 53 million likes. Believe it or not, it’s a picture of an egg. The photo post went viral in only 10 days, and it has been receiving more and more likes ever since.
45. Photos featuring faces receive 38 percent more likes than those without faces.
46. Instagram images with a dominant color receive 17 percent more likes than photos with several dominant colors.
47. Images with a lot of blue receive 24 percent more likes than predominantly red images.
48. Images with a lot of negative space receive 29 percent more likes than images with less negative space.
49. Over five million videos were shared within 24 hours when video was first introduced to Instagram in 2013.
50. One out of every four Instagram ads feature video.
51. A study researching Instagram’s top 100 brands found that each post caption averaged 2 ½ hashtags.
52. In another study, posts with 9-12 hashtags generated more engagement than posts with fewer or more hashtags.
53. Hashtags with 21-24 characters outperform posts with fewer or more characters.
54. Instagram posts with location tags receive nearly 80 percent more engagement than posts without location tags.
55. 80 percent of the top emojis on Instagram feature smiley faces.
56. As the most popular flag emoji, the American flag is ranked 59th on the top 100 emoji list. Ranked 125th, Italy’s flag is second. Then comes France and Japan.
57. The most shared emoji is the red heart. In fact, users share it 79 percent more than the smiley face with hearts for eyes, which is the second most popular emoji.
58. The most popular food to be Instagrammed is pizza. Sushi and steak are second and third respectively.
59. #love is the most popular hashtag.
60. The best Instagram posting day and time is Thursday from 5:00 a.m. – 11:00 a.m. in whatever time zone you’re in.
61. 90 percent of Interbrand’s top 100 companies have Instagram accounts. Of these, 80 percent post a minimum of one video or photo a week.
62. Brands on Instagram post on average 11-20 times each month.
63. In a recent study of 55 Instagram brands, they all posted 1 ½ times a day on average.
64. Most posts by Instagram’s top brands take 19 hours or more before hitting the 50 percent mark on their total comments.
65. 10 percent of post comments take place after 19 days.
66. The majority of brand posts generate comments and likes up to 24 hours after being posted, but many posts continue being engaged with for days or even weeks afterwards.
67. Per post engagement has increased by 53 percent year after year.
68. In a study researching several thousand brand posts, researchers found that the average post has an engagement rate of 4.3 percent. So, for every 100 followers, a post receives 4.3 comments or likes. To receive 100 comments or likes, a brand needs more than 2,000 followers.
69. Despite being the best social media platform for organic engagement, Instagram’s interaction rate is only 2.2 percent, which is just over half of what it was in 2015.
70. A brand was able to add 36 times its usual daily number of new visitors by running a four-day set of sponsored posts. As a result, it was able to boost its following by over 18 percent.
Instagram Business Stats
72. Approximately 80 percent of Instagram users actively follow a business or brand.
73. 200 million users and 25 million business profiles visit one or more other business profiles each day.
74. 96 percent of fashion brands are on Instagram.
75. Instagram has two million monthly advertisers.
76. Instagram accounts for nearly 25 percent of Facebook’s total ad revenue.
77. 60 percent of Instagram users discover new products on the platform.
78. 50 percent of Instagram users follow brands, which is the highest percentage of all social network platforms.
79. Over half of Instagram’s most followed brands are in the retail sector.
80. According to a 2018 study, the industry with the highest post engagement rate is higher education. It has a 3.39 percent engagement rate. Sports teams followed with an engagement rate of 2.28 percent.
81. Overall, Instagram has an engagement rate of 2.2 percent. Facebook only has an engagement rate of 0.22 percent.
82. 50 percent of Instagram business profiles have produced at least one Story.
83. 50 percent of businesses on Instagram produce a minimum of one Story per month.
84. 33 percent of the most popular Stories are produced by businesses.
85. Businesses on Instagram receive 37 percent of all of their impressions from Stories they produce and share.
Using Instagram Stats to Your Advantage
As you can see, Instagram has a lot going on, and it has even more going for it. Now that you know all of the most important stats of this popular social media platform, it’s time to use what you’ve learned to create a successful Instagram posting strategy and begin growing your following today!
Image credit: Thanks to Gian Cescon
We have even more stats for you!
Latest posts by Jamie Spencer (see all)
- How to See Your Instagram Password (While Logged in) - May 13, 2022
- How To Easily Create a Free Business Email Address In Just 5 Minutes - February 22, 2022
- 50 Common WordPress Errors and Simple Fixes - January 24, 2022